When I was a young person I believed that in a democracy you had freedom of speech but in fact you don't. Things like laws against inciting hatred and political correctness tend to prevent that. I think this is a mistake. It would be better to punish people for what they do, not what they say. If you think about it there are two possible systems. One would be a system where everybody can say what they want and if it offends some group they can argue against it but they cannot stop people saying what they want. The other system is where you cannot say what you want if it offends somebody. The trouble with this is there is no arbiter to peoples cultural and religious sensibilities. One persons religion is another's cult. With this subtractive system you are left with very little space to say anything. This system pretends that all views are equally valid but they are not. Rather than challenge daft ideas lets not say anything offensive. Its intellectually lazy.
I would differentiate between public and private spaces. Its reasonable to advocate the benefits of pork on TV but don't expect to get a similar hearing in a mosque say. This brings me onto a different but related topic. Some people feel at liberty to comment negatively on pictures when no critique is asked for. As far as I'm concerned my pictures are in my space produced with my time and money and if you don't like them go somewhere else. This is the equivalent of switching off the TV if you don't like the program. Its just standard politeness. If you see a girl in a pretty dress maybe you might compliment her on it. If you see an ugly girl saying 'my you are ugly' is not really acceptable. There are thousands of pictures produced at Deviant Art. Some are world class but the majority just aren't that good but I don't spend my time complaining about it I just move on. That is the correct response. If you don't think I should have a cross in a picture, make reference to Dresden or comment on German economic policy too bad. Oddly I express my art and opinions not yours. Why not comment in your own space rather than complain at other people's?
Things I don't like are as follows:
1) Black and white pictures. Yes I know its easy to make pictures look real in black and white but its a cop out. Anyone can do that. Make them look good in colour and if you succeed it will look much better. (Strange that B/W looks real because few people see that way).
2) Single nudes but you can see the pores on the skin and the lighting is fantastic. Yes if you have a good program on a fast PC you can achieve this but where is the art or the composition? Lighting is important but not really an end in itself. Do the good lighting but can we have a composition please?
3) Watermarks. Had several goes at this already. I won't favourite any picture with a watermark. They dont add anything for the viewer.
4) Boobs are wonderful. Big boobs are better, so boobs which you drag along the floor must be the best ever right? Somewhere along the line this argument breaks down but not for some people.
5) Pictures on 10 sites. If I see a picture I like I'll fav it. Seeing it 10 times over does not improve my opinion of it. Its just tedious.
6) Ten pictures of your pet dog. Slightly different posing. I have thousands of photos but I don't suppose that other people would find them interesting.
7) 100 pictures of your favourite girl. Now this girl was quite pretty but so many pictures of her I had to quit the group.
I did not make any of these comments on pictures but I'll get it off my chest here.
If you want to comment on this text I'll give you a fair hearing that is why I wrote it. If you don't like my views but still like my pictures thats OK too. The two aren't really related.